Last night I attended the kickoff event for the Tillamook Melty Fest Tour which starts today and runs until July 28! Tillamook is an Oregon-based creamery specializing in cheese and ice cream that is now available locally in the DC area! To celebrate this new launch, Tillamook is throwing the Melty Fest Tour to introduce their award-winning cheese and ice cream to Washingtonians!
I was lucky enough to receive a package of Tillamook cheese and ice cream earlier this month and I’ve tried 6 of their cheeses and 3 of their ice creams. The cheese is legit incredible. My favorite is the farm style thick cut shredded cheese! It is perfect for cooking at home (I made omelets for dinner one night and the Tillamook Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese made the entire meal!!! ALSO- see the bottom of this post for a Breakfast Burrito recipe!) and their block cheese is the perfect accompaniment to a cheese board! The ice cream is also incredible. I must admit it’s been hard to exercise self-control in having three tubs of ice cream at home, lol, but the ice cream is the perfect blend of creamy and rich- packed with tons of flavor! I’m partial to the Old Fashioned Vanilla!
The Tillamook Melty Fest Tour events begin today, July 24 and feature a Menu Takeover at Little Red Fox through July 28 and an Ice Cream Sampling at Wunder Garten on July 27. The Little Red Fox Tillamook Menu Takeover features both the cheese and ice cream, in custom dishes created by Chef Matt Carr. During last night’s preview Menu Takeover kickoff event I got to try items from the special, limited-edition menu and I was in literal cheese heaven. On the menu, you can expect amazing dishes such as Queso Dip, Pimento Mac N Cheese with Smoked Tomatillos, Cheese Puffs, Fancy Grilled Cheese, Eggplant Parm, and more! For dessert, you can indulge in Ice Cream Sandwiches with a variety of flavors of Tillamook ice cream and cookies. Everything was CHEESETASTIC and I will be going back for seconds this week and bringing my husband to join in!
If you are a cheese and ice cream lover like me, I guarantee you will love the Melty Fest Tour! To see the full list of events and times and to RSVP, visit the event page. If you just can’t wait to try Tillamook at home, here is a link on where to buy in the DC area!
And, for a little added cheesy fun, Tillamook and Little Red Fox are providing this exclusive recipe for Breakfast Burritos from Chef Matt Carr! Enjoy!
LITTLE RED FOX BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE
Credit: Chef Matt Carr
Makes ~8 burritos
Potatoes, preferably Yukon gold, 6
Tillamook Cheddar, Extra Sharp, 8 slices
Fresh corn (or frozen if not available fresh), 1 pint
Black beans, canned, 1 pint
Canola Oil (or vegetable oil), as needed
Flour tortillas, 12", 8 each
Hot sauce, as needed
1. Warm oven to 400 F.
2. Cut potatoes into large squares and place in salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until fork tender.
3. Drain water and place potatoes on a sheet tray lined with parchment. Generously coat with canola, salt and pepper. Bake at 400 F until golden brown and caramelized.
4. Cut corn fresh off the cub. Place in simmering salted water until tender. Drain.
5. Toss corn with black beans (rinsed) and add 2 T of cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Break eggs into bowl. Use immersion blender (or a fork) to mix until liquid is homogenous.
MAKE IT HAPPEN:
1. Add canola oil to a large non-stick pan on high heat. Toss in potatoes & egg mix.
2. Move eggs around pan continuously to avoid any browning.
3. Once eggs come together, lower heat and toss in corn / bean mixture & Tillamook Cheddar (break up slices with your hand into smaller pieces, so it melts faster)
4. Once cheese is melted, it’s ready to serve.
5. Heat flour tortillas, one at a time, over open flame of the range. About 5 seconds on each side.
6. Scoop 1 heaping cup of the burrito mix into each tortilla. Drizzle with your favorite hot sauce and then wrap tightly in a hot tortilla. We use our house made hot sauce, which contains smoked chilis and tomatoes, to add a really nice sweetness and kick.
Photos by Arielle Lewis Studios.
Blonde in the District
*This blog post is a sponsored collaboration between Tillamook and Blonde in the District. All thoughts and opinions in this review belong solely to Blonde in the District.